Harry P. Leuchak lived in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Phoenixville High School in 1937. Harry worked on his father’s farm prior to entering the service. He was a member of the Vincent Baptist Church.
Harry was drafted into the Army in September, 1942 and trained with the Amphibious Engineers at Camp Edwards, Mass., and Fort Ord, California, before going to the South Pacific. He went overseas as a mechanic with the 365th Amphibious Engineers in November, 1943.
Harry Leuchak was killed on March 12, 1945 on Mindanao, Philippine Islands. He was awarded the Purple Heart posthumously. His remains were placed in a temporary military cemetery in the South Pacific before being shipped to his home country in 1948.
Funeral services were held on September 4, 1948. Interment was at the Highland Memorial Cemetery in Pottstown, PA.
Harry's brother, Private Walter Leuchak, stationed at Kessler Field, Mississippi, made it home safely from the war.